GORDON HARRIS WORKSHOPS
LEARN TO DRAW AND PAINT IN AN ARTSTORE!
I run regular watercolour painting and drawing workshops in Wellington’s beautiful art store; ‘Gordon Harris.’ We gather in an inspiring, collegial art space off the main shop area, perfectly equipped to enable creativity. On the day of your workshop, Gordon Harris offers a 10% discount, enabling you to purchase materials there if you want to. I recommend this learning space – it’s buzzing with creativity!
Please scroll down the page for course information and registration.
Learn to draw Convincing Portraits
1. This course is for semi beginners and those with experience.
2. There is no right or wrong way to draw when you’re learning, every drawing is a valid and valuable part of the process. Every drawing you do, no matter how ‘good’ or ‘bad’, creates new brain circuitry which enables the next step. I am always positive and encouraging whilst supporting you to move forward and achieve the results you want.
3. In this workshop you discover the drawing techniques that enable you to draw convincing portraits. I show you how to see the shapes that make up the face and the relationships between them. Seeing relationships is fundamental to drawing.
4. You learn how to measure those relationships with sighting and using a ‘base unit measure’.
5. I show you how to consciously activate your right hemisphere, which being primarily visual and spatial, is ideally equipped for drawing. Everyone unconsciously activates their right hemisphere. Every time your eye is attracted to a glorious sunset, a beautiful flower, a bird soaring high above you; when you pat your cat or dog, take your child or loved one in your arms, listen to music, draw or dance, you activate the deep, silent reservoir of your unconscious mind; your right hemisphere.
6. I teach simple mindfulness techniques to help you relax, optimise the process and address any concerns that may arise from your left hemisphere. Mindfulness, like drawing, activates the right hemisphere of your brain.
Date; Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th September 2019.
Time; 10.00 to 4.00, Saturday and Sunday
Venue; Gordon Harris, Cnr Bute and Vivian Streets, Wellington
Cost; $280 Early bird ; $260, pay by 30th August
Morning and afternoon tea and bikkies provided, please bring your own lunch or you can wander down to one of Cuba Street’s cafes.
To secure your place, please pay the deposit at the end of the page.
Watercolour for Absolute Beginners
1. This course is for you if you’ve always dreamed about being able to paint with watercolour but think it’s ‘too hard’. This is a very common perception and it’s true if you use watercolour like acrylic or oil paints. Watercolour has a very specific nature, a chemistry which if you work with, gives you satisfying results.
2. This course is for you if you’ve tried watercolour but are frustrated with your results – you end up with white and dark patches, ‘cauliflowers’, your pictures look great when wet but disappointing when dry, it just feels impossible to control the paint. It’s for you if you feel completely inspired to learn because you love watercolour paintings!
3. I show you how to address all the issues that create the perception that watercolour is the most difficult medium. I give you fundamental techniques, showing you how to hold the brush, mix paint, create just the right consistencies of paint to water to ensure subtle lights and luscious darks – every time! I show you how to create flat washes, how to glaze over the top of them to create depth and glow and I introduce you to blending. You learn how to manage the brush and how to paint into corners and create straight edges with relative ease. It’s all possible!
4. I show you how to feel safe with watercolour’s inherent tendency to flow by controlling and allowing when appropriate. Everyone can learn how to achieve results with watercolour. As part of the process I give simple mindfulness techniques which support you to manage the concerns of your left hemisphere, relax and optimise the process. You learn how to consciously activate the right hemisphere of your brain.
Date; Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th July
Time; 10 – 4pm, both days
Venue; Gordon Harris, Cnr Vivian and Bute St, Wellington
Cost; $280 Early bird; $260, pay by 30th June
Morning and afternoon tea available, please provide your own lunch.
To secure your place please pay the deposit below.